amhsr-open access medicla research journals

A study of acute abdomen needing an emergency laparotomy in a tertiary hospital in central India


Shrinivas Surpam, Chandrasekhar Mahakalkar, Dilip Gode

Background: acute abdomen and exploratory laparotomy go hand in hand in any surgical emergency duty. We conducted this study to know the causes as well as the post operative complications of the laparotomies in a tertiary hospital in central India.

Methods: Our study was a hospital based observational study in which all surgical emergency cases which were operated upon by emergency midline laparotomy for acute abdomen or trauma at a tertiary medical hospital in central India were included in the study.

Results: A total of 188 consecutive cases of patients presenting with abdominal pain in surgery emergency who had to undergo an emergency laparotomy were included in the study. Out of them, 155 were patients of only acute abdomen while 33 had a history of trauma. Most of the cases were in 40–60 year age group (30.4 %), closely followed by 60–80 year age group (28.9 %), while least cases were below 20 years (7.2 %). Out of the 188 cases, 142 were males and 46 were females. Among those with history of trauma, about 65% were blunt abdominal trauma and the rest 35% were penetrating type trauma.

Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language

Awards Nomination
20+ Million Readerbase
Abstracted/Indexed in

  • Include Baidu Scholar
  • CNKI (China National Knowledge Infrastructure)
  • EBSCO Publishing's Electronic Databases
  • Exlibris – Primo Central
  • Google Scholar
  • Hinari
  • Infotrieve
  • National Science Library
  • ProQuest
  • TdNet
  • African Index Medicus
Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research The Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research is a bi-monthly multidisciplinary medical journal.
Submit your Manuscript