amhsr-open access medicla research journals

Incidence of Dengue Fever in Febrile Patients and Co-Infection with Typhoid Fever in South India


Naveen Kumar C, Ponniah M, Srikumar R*, Vijayakumar R, Chidambaram R, Jayalakshmi G, Prabhakar Reddy E, Manoharan A and Sai Ravi Kiran B

Dengue and enteric typhoid fever are major public health problems in India and risk of contracting both infections concurrently. The present study was aimed to determining the occurrence of dengue fever in febrile patients and co-infection with Typhoid fever in South Indian population. The 632 patients sera with febrile illness from January to September 2017 were tested for Dengue virus NS1 and/or IgM samples and Widal test for enteric fever were used for analysis. Results were expressed in percentage. The prevalence of dengue fever is 14% (94), in which 72% (68) are male and remaining 28% (26) were female. Maximum number of dengue positive cases seen in the age group 21-30 years with least in above 60yrs of age groups. The co-infection of Dengue with typhoid fever in febrile patients was 34% (32) which includes 66% (21) were female and remaining 34% (11) are male. The occurrence of dengue fever is high in most active age group people with male gender while co-infection with typhoid fever observed mostly in female population. In the present study prevalence of Dengue fever is high and the incidence of co-infections are common, hence it should be properly diagnosed and timely medication should be provided to reduce complications and also to avoid mortality.

Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language

Awards Nomination
20+ Million Readerbase
Abstracted/Indexed in

  • Include Baidu Scholar
  • CNKI (China National Knowledge Infrastructure)
  • EBSCO Publishing's Electronic Databases
  • Exlibris – Primo Central
  • Google Scholar
  • Hinari
  • Infotrieve
  • National Science Library
  • ProQuest
  • TdNet
  • African Index Medicus
Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research The Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research is a bi-monthly multidisciplinary medical journal.
Submit your Manuscript