amhsr-open access medicla research journals

Lifestyle and Dental Health Behaviors among Outpatients in a Dental College in Chennai- An Institutional Study


Srivarsan R, L Leelavathi and L Leelavathi*

Introduction: Dental and oral health is an essential part of your overall health and well-being. Poor oral hygiene can lead to dental cavities and gum disease, and has also been linked to heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Aim: Aim of the study is to assess the lifestyle and dental health behavior among outpatients in a private dental college. Materials & Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted among patients visiting private dental College, Chennai. The survey was conducted among 104 outpatients. Interviewer administered questionnaire was used and the collected day was analyzed using a chi-square test. Results: About 78% of people visit the dentist regularly and about 82% brush their teeth once a day and the rest of 18% brush their teeth twice a day. about 56% of respondents do not consume tobacco and 32% consume tobacco occasionally. Tobacco consumption was less among those who visited the dentist when compared with those who haven't visited [p value 0.00]. Gum health was perceived as excellent by more numbers of males than females [p value 0.00]. Conclusion: Male study participants and educated individuals were found to be significantly associated with positive dental health behavior. Dental visit and reduced tobacco consumption was significantly associated among the study participants.

Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language

Awards Nomination
20+ Million Readerbase
Abstracted/Indexed in

  • Include Baidu Scholar
  • CNKI (China National Knowledge Infrastructure)
  • EBSCO Publishing's Electronic Databases
  • Exlibris – Primo Central
  • Google Scholar
  • Hinari
  • Infotrieve
  • National Science Library
  • ProQuest
  • TdNet
  • African Index Medicus
Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research The Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research is a bi-monthly multidisciplinary medical journal.
Submit your Manuscript